Saturday, January 30, 2010

This is where we play.

When we first walked into this house, I knew exactly what we would do with this little breakfast- nook room-it would be the playroom. It is in the ideal location, just off the kitchen, dining room and living room. I can shut both doors that lead to the hallway and the girls are confined to a completely baby-safe triangle from the kitchen to the living room with all their toys within reach:) Tonight they played in their playroom, together, just the two of them for an hour straight. No crying for mommy and daddy, no getting into trouble...just fun, imaginative, little girl time. We peek in on them from time to time and it's so fun to see what they are into at that moment...tonight Marissa was playing with her new favorite toy from Zach and Heather and Allie was sitting on the pink stool watching her. So sweet. We all love this room. I have been putting this room together piece by piece and it proves to get more difficult as we get more toys...trying to find a place to put everything, but I suppose this is a good problem to have:) With all that said, I would like to take you on a tour of our playroom.

This is the view from the doorway. The chandelier was originally in the dining but it was perfect for this room, so Pops and Nana (Russell's parents) got us a new one for the dining room and Pops put this one in the playroom. The curtains I found at blissfullydomestic
and loved the look of them! I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased some girly, pink ribbon and used some plain, old sheer drapes and got out my trusty hot glue gun and created some very inexpensive and fun window treatments. I got the rug at Lowes for $20. Not my ideal choice, but good enough for $20.
This was my original inspiration for the curtains.

The letters are hodge podged with scrapbook paper (all from hobby lobby) and the pictures of the girls I got for FREE (well, kinda...I had to pay $15 for shipping, but they are at least $50 usually.) You can get one too, just go to canvaspeople.com. The kitchen was a gift from Pops and Nana, the girls love it and well, every little girls playroom needs a kitchen:)

This is the other side of the room-the table is from Papa and NeeNee-they got it at Target and it's great because it has the 2 storage bins that slide out from the bottom. Very handy!


This is the wall to the left when you walk in the room. My mom helped me build the little bookshelves. I found the tutorial at Frugal Home Ideas and, although it wasn't too difficult, I don't think I could have done it without my mom's help. Thanks:) The boxes in the shelves are simply diaper boxes covered with the same paper I used to cover the letters. (and yes, that is the lawnmower on top of the shelves where the girls can't reach it...that has got to be the most annoying toy, so that's where it stays.) Oh, and I know the bookshelves are not even, but that's just not on my priority list to fix right now....
Well, I hope you have enjoyed touring our playroom. It is such a wonderful room, perfect for us and so much fun. It will surely have to change if we have a boy...but that day isn't here yet...so, for now, it's girly and pink and FAB.U.LOUS:) heehee.

DIY Day @ ASPTL

5 comments:

Scott and Katie said...

You are so creative. I so wish we had an extra "play" room in our house. Hope you guys are doing well. We miss ya

Emily said...

Can I get an AMEN on that lawn mower...ours is properly placed out in the garage so Sam can "cut" grass with Daddy, and Mommy won't lose her mind in the process

shannonmichaelis said...

LOVE IT! Becoming quite the decorator! Looks great, and how nice to have a space off to the side of the house to keep all of the toys!

Phyllis @Around the House said...

what a great job you did in the play room, it looks so cute, love the way the curtains turned out...

Nony the Slob said...

Love what you did with the storage boxes.