Monday, November 30, 2009

The big 3-1!

Once again, I am way late on this post. I guess y'all are used to that by now....Anyway, on the 8th, Russell celebrated his 31st birthday!! He is officially in his 30's and O-L-D! HAHA, just kidding:) We didn't really have a lot planned that day...our recent vacation was pretty much our birthday/Christmas/whatever gift to each other for the next few occasions. However, we still had to make sure Russell knew his girls love him!! I didn't have anything special planned so that afternoon I asked him what he wanted for dinner, that I would fix him whatever he wanted! He then said, "Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy." Ummm, seriously, do I have a second option? Now, I have watched my mom cook this exact meal at least a dozen times, but have never attempted it on my own, not to mention, I had not one single item in my kitchen to even begin to make that meal. So, I told him, how about the next time you see my mom, I get her to fix you the chicken fried steak with all the fixin's and you give me your second favorite meal. He then said, "Ok, bisuits and sausage gravy." Alrighty, that I can do. I, of course, called my mom for a quick tutorial, ran to the store and about an hour later, he had a big ol' plate of southern goodness in front of him, plus a big glass of ice cold chocolate milk. (Isn't he just the cutest 31 year old you've ever seen:) by the way, the meal tasted waaaay better than it looks)

Next, and I probably shouldn't mention this...but just in case y'all thought I was perfect, I am about to prove you wrong. Russell's most favorite thing in the world is cookie cake and what is the one thing I forgot to get him? You guessed it, a big, yummy cookie cake that he has had for just about every birthday of his life. I didn't think of it until about 5:30 and the mall closed at 6:00. So, I hop into the car to get the stuff for dinner and pray I can make it to mall in time to pick up a cake. Unfortunately, by the time I get there, they of course have no cakes and only one slice left in the back....OK, I say, I'll take it. All the while thinking that I am just about the worst.wife.ever. But, I get the slice of cake, get it home, and then it gets even better. I am thinking this whole time that I have a "3" candle and a "1" candle to put on the cake, however when I get home and look, all I have is a "3" and a regular candle. So....yep, you got it, that's what I used. I suppose it was a little ghetto, but Russell thought it was funny and well, he really ought to know by now that I don't plan ahead or make lists or have a "3" and a "1" candle, but he does know that his girls love him very, very much and we are so thankful for him and all that he does for our family. Here he is getting a little help from Marissa with those candles.



Well, Russell, I hope that even though your birthday wasn't perfect, that it was special and you enjoyed it! We love you so much!!! Happy Birthday, old man:)

1 comment:

The Allen Family said...

looks like a GREAT b'day to me :) happy late birthday russell!!!!