Thursday, July 23, 2009

Girls' weekend getaway and wedding in Santa Fe

A few months ago, my mom called with an offer I couldn't refuse....she told me that she and dad were invited to a wedding in Santa Fe and that dad wasn't really interested in going, would I like to go and dad would watch the babies for me? uh, let me think--YESSSS!!! The wedding was for Chris McVay, who is the son of one of dad's best friends growing up. We used to live near them and spent many, many summers together at the lake. The McVay's have 4 kids, Chris (27), Ryan (26), Alix (24), and Camye (21). I have so many memories of the McVay's and it was so wonderful to see them...I think it had been almost 10 years since we last saw each other.
So anyway, mom and I have been looking forward to this trip for a few months and with the exception of a terrible flight to New Mexico, we had a fabulous time!!! We left Thursday morning and were supposed to arrive in Albuquerque, NM at 3:30 but thanks to the weather we didn't get in until 9:30. It was a loooooong day-to say the least. But we made it, safe and sound. Friday morning we got up, had a wonderful breakfast and walked around Santa Fe. The buildings and scenery are just beautiful and the weather was so nice.

This was a building that was around downtown-I have always loved adobe and Mexican style design-so I thought it was gorgeous!

This is the downtown market-it is called the Palace of the Governors and every day locals come and set up little shops and sell all their handmade goods-mostly jewelry. This is also where the ceremony for the wedding was located.

Another cool building.

My mom took this picture-I love it!
We then headed to the rehearsal dinner Friday night, got to see a lot of old friends and had a great time! Here is my mom, the mother of the groom, Elaine and me after the rehearsal.

On Saturday, mom went to lunch with some of the family and I went to the pool to hang out with the "youngsters". Let me tell you, it was soooo nice-I haven't laid by the pool in well...a really long time!! I had a very yummy and refreshing mojito and just chatted with some old and new friends and loved every minute of it. Here is Ryan (the best man) and me at the pool.

Then came the wedding...it was at 6:45 and the weather was perfect. It was overcast with a little breeze and just so pleasant. This is the groom, Chris, best man, Ryan and their cousin, Michael Ross.

And here is the beautiful couple-Chris and Whitney

The beautiful wedding party! (fyi-Cammye (the youngest sister) is the 2nd from the left; Alix is the 4th from the left; Casey (who is married to Michael Ross-the cousin and also grew up best friends with Alix) is the 6th from the left; Michael Ross is 9th from the right and his brother, Blake is 4th from the right) They are obviously a close family:)

My mom and me at the wedding-doesn't she look so beautiful!:)

Alix, Molly (cousin and Michael Ross and Blake's sister) and me.

So, one thing I have yet to mention is that this was a very bittersweet wedding. The groom's dad, Ted McVay, got very sick with pancreatic cancer about a two and a half years ago-he was in full remission from the cancer after chemo and radiation, but his body was never able to recover from the many surgeries. He passed away this past April at the age of 56. This picture is of Ryan giving his best man speech and at the very end he talked about his dad and how much he was missed and he ended his speech with "This is the celebration of one great man's journey coming to an end and another great man's journey just beginning." It was a beautiful speech.

All in all, there were a lot of tears shed for Ted's absence and Mom kept talking about mine and Zach's weddings and how stressful they were for her and how she couldn't imagine having to go at them alone, without my dad. There were a lot of prayers said for Elaine (the mother of the groom) and the kids that weekend. Like I said...it was a very bittersweet but very beautiful time for everyone.
And it was finally time to head home...here we are at the airport in St. Louis waiting to board our 5th (in 4 days) and final flight home to Birmingham. We were exhausted and soooo ready to get home.

We finally made it home to Anniston at about 5:00 in the evening and let me tell you the best part about the whole weekend:
Mom and I pull up in the driveway and dad, Russell and the girls are outside playing. I open the door and Marissa sees me and runs as fast and as hard as she could directly to me and knocks me down with the biggest hug she has ever given me. Let me tell you....it was the best homecoming present ever!
And lastly-a big, big thank you to the best Papa in the whole world! My dad took over my job as stay-at-home mom Thursday-Sunday and well...I think he was better at it than I am. (Russell actually said after 2 days of me being home and apparently not keeping up with the cleaning as well as my dad..."I think I want your dad to come back"....Thanks Russ, I missed you too....) Papa set the bar high doing all the laundry, keeping the house clean and taking care of the girls. Thank you so much, dad!! You're the best!!
And mom, next stop-New York City!!!!

2 comments:

The Allen Family said...

looks like y'all had a LOT of fun!! great pics :)

p.s. aren't you glad our worth doesn't come from our abilities to perform tasks well??? (hahaha) :)

Ashley said...

Glad you guys had fun. You look GREAT! :)